Messianic Old Testament Bible Prophecies fulfilled by Jesus Christ
What are some Messianic Old Testament Bible Prophecies fulfilled by Jesus Christ?
The Bible has many prophecies that ancient rabbis identified as being “Messianic,” meaning that they speak about an “anointed one” – a special person anointed by God – to carry out work ordained by God. Christians, believe that Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the Bible’s Messianic promises. Perhaps the Bible’s most famous Messianic passages are found in Isaiah, chapter 53.
Below is a selection of Bible prophecies fulfilled by Jesus Christ the Messiah.
- King David’s throne would be established forever (2 Samuel 7:16).
- Daniel predicted when an anointed one would be rejected (Daniel 9:24-26).
- God promised another prophet like Moses (Deuteronomy 18:15-18).
- The Messiah would be a descendant of Abraham (Genesis 22:18).
- The Messiah would come from the tribe of Judah (Genesis 49:10).
- Isaiah foreshadowed the virgin birth of Jesus (Isaiah 7:14).
- There would be a son called God (Isaiah 9:6-7).
- Nations would seek the counsel of Jesse’s descendant (Isaiah 11:1-10).
- He would perform miracles (Isaiah 35:4-6).
- The Messiah would be preceded by a messenger (Isaiah 40:1-5,9).
- The Messiah would be a light to Gentiles (Isaiah 42:1-9).
- God’s salvation would reach the ends of the earth (Isaiah 49:6).
- Jesus was spat upon and beaten (Isaiah 50:6).
- The Messiah would be rejected (Isaiah 53:1-3).
- God’s servant would die for our sins (Isaiah 53:4-6).
- God’s servant would be silent before his accusers (Isaiah 53:7).
- God’s servant would be buried in a rich man’s tomb (Isaiah 53:9).
- God’s servant would be “numbered with the transgressors” (Isaiah 53:12).
- Isaiah foreshadows the ministry of Jesus (Isaiah 61:1-2).
- The Messiah would be a descendant of King David (Jeremiah 23:5).
- All who believe in Jesus will be saved (John 3:16).
- Jesus proclaims that he is the Messiah (John 4:19-26).
- Jesus told Peter that the church would survive and thrive Matthew (16:17,18).
- Jesus foretold his death and resurrection (Matthew 20:17-19).
- The Messiah would be born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:1-2).
- The crucifixion of Jesus is foreshadowed (Psalm 22:1,7,8,16,17,18).
- Jesus was betrayed by a friend (Psalm 41:9).
- The Messiah would enter Jerusalem while riding on a donkey (Zechariah 9:9).
- Zechariah foreshadowed the crucifixion of Jesus (Zechariah 12:10).